Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Accessory Organization

I LOVE accessories.  One thing I've learned over and over from doing this blog and just experimenting with different outfits is that they are the easiest way to bring personality and trends to a look.  If you have great key items in your closet, you can wear them year-to-year and just add accessories and a few key trend clothing items rather than always buying dozens of things you'll rarely wear. 

Organizing accessories is something, however, I haven't always loved.  I just could never find a good system.  Not only did my lack of savvy accessory organization aggravate me, I rarely wore most of my accessories because it was too much of a pain to find them in the first place! I I would strongly recommend either using a closet system for your entire closet (you can find some reasonably priced ones at Lowe's & Home Depot) or a bookshelf to organize your accessories.  A simple bookshelf from a store, thrift store or wherever is a lifesaver!  The money is worth the sanity of having a well organized closet!  It has made all the difference in getting dressed.  Here's what I used to do and here is how I am organizing my accessories now.  

Necklaces, Bracelets & Rings
NOW:  I store them on "accessory stands" and right on the shelves like you see at stores.  It makes sense the way retailers organize them.  I can see my accessories every day and think about how I'd match them to an outfit.  Also, by hanging the necklaces or storing them flat, they don't end up completely tangled.  I had to get rid of several necklaces because they were beyond repair.   I got this gray accessory stand at T.J. Maxx and I think it was about $15.00.  I can also store rings and brooches on the bottom of it.  I love it so much, I am in search of another one now!   



Notice the beautiful, sparkling Amelie
(below the anchor necklace)





BEFORE:  I used to store each necklace or set of bracelets in a plastic bag in clear bins in my closet.  I couldn't see them every day, so I didn't wear them.  And because they were not hanging, they were a total mess! 

Necklaces 
NOW:  I also store many of them on this accessory hanger.  Again, the beauty of this is that they don't get tangled and I can see them in my closet. I got this one for $5 at Target!  (However, Charlotte can see them too, which means she always wants to wear them :))



Notice the stunning Mialisia necklace with 


Belts
NOW:  I found this scarf rack at Target and thought I would give it a try for my belts.  I've seen other people flawlessly organize their belts on a tie rack on the wall, but I didn't want to affix something to my wall unless it was the last option.   So far, this has worked great!  I separated the belts by color and it's easy to find them and it keeps them in order. 





BEFORE:   I used to roll my belts, put them in clear plastic bags and then put them in a large bin under my bed.  However, if you are in a hurry and need to try on several belts, this does not work well at all.  Who has time to sit around rolling belts back into place?  Needless to say, it ended up being a mess!!  

Handbags:
NOW:  I keep them on the top of the shelves of the closet unit.  This works amazingly well.  I can keep the paper stuffing in them and see them at all times! Oh, how I love them!  Again, this is why a bookshelf is also great!  You can store them on top or on certain shelves of the bookshelf.  




BEFORE:  I used to store them on a shelf in my closet.  The problem...my clothes from the top rack would cover them.  I couldn't see them and some of them got quite crushed.  I should have cleared part of the bottom area and put a small bookshelf there to store my bags.  That would have been much better. 




1 comment:

  1. There are many ways to go about organizing your kitchen accessory. Different methods make more sense depending on your space and what you’re storing. No matter which method you choose, these accessory organizers definitely helps you to reduce the space usage. Once again great post man! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete