Monday, January 20, 2014

Lessons Learned a Month Into Sweet on Style

It's hard to believe I've been doing this blog for about a month now.  It is a true passion of mine and I am grateful you are sharing this journey with me!  Thank you!! I wanted to break down some crucial lessons I have already learned that seem simple, but I didn't really follow until now.  If you already do, I am impressed! 

This may sound ridiculous, but I used to get really stressed out shopping even though I love it.  I just couldn't decide what to buy.  So many beautiful options, but which ones would really make a big impact in my wardrobe?  Now, I have much more of a clear answer.  So, here are my lessons learned.  I hope this inspires at least one person to avoid being the irrational, indecisive shopper I once was!  

1) Shop Your Closet:  It was among the 2014 resolutions for several designers and advice I now take seriously.  Until I did this blog, I never realized how many basic options were just sitting in my closet and probably in yours too.  Sound familiar - I'd wear an item once (maybe twice) and feel it was old.  I didn't really think about styling it differently.  It was essentially money wasted.  An expensive "throw away" look.    Now, I see that each item has the potential to have multiple looks with a little creativity.  Which brings me to lesson #2...

2)  Accessorize It:  I never realized the true power of accessories until now.  They can dramatically change the look of an outfit or top.  You can be feminine, edgy or glamorous all with the quick change of a necklace or bracelet.  And you can buy some gorgeous accessories without breaking the bank.  These can easily be your gorgeous " on trend" pieces, which leads to your "investment" pieces...

3) Invest in What You Wear:  So, what basics do you wear all the time?  I've realized, I pretty much live in slim fit black ponte pants or dark blue jeans with a top or sweater and either ballet flats or riding boots.  So, why am I wasting my money buying several inexpensive versions of these items but really only wearing the one I like all the time?  I should invest that money into buying one or two really good pair(s) of jeans and pants that I will wear constantly.  The higher quality will not only look better, it will last much longer.  Why did it take me so long to figure this out?


4) Challenge Yourself to Mix:  I have to admit, I am kind of (OK, very much) obsessed with the Duchess of Cambridge, Kate Middleton, and her fabulous sense of style.  A lightbulb went off in my head one day when I saw her wearing a gorgeous dress not once but twice in two stunning different ways.  Here she is, a princess who has immediate access to any fashion house in the world and she gracefully wore the same dress over again.  It shows she has incredible style.  So, my excuse that I can't wear a dress again because I've already worn it really doesn't hold up any more :)  If you're stuck for ideas, think of how you would style each item for:  work, a casual day, a dressy event - how can you be edgy, glamorous, fun, etc.?

Sweet Style Inspiration



No comments:

Post a Comment